Guardianship and Alternatives

At age 18, parents can no longer legally make decisions for their child. Parents no longer automatically get access to medical information, educational information, nor do they have a seat on the special education committee for their child. A court must appoint a guardian for an 18-year-old who is unable to care for themselves. We provide representation to apply for and be appointed as the legal guardian for your child.

If your child does not need full guardianship, but does need assistance making decisions and managing their affairs, we can also help identify and set up tools to allow you to help your child. For guardianship in Travis, Hays, and Williamson counties, call us.

Contact us for information on getting started.